I have really wanted to get back into baking goodies for the kids lunch boxes. Over the christmas school holidays I stopped baking cakes, slices etc. The kids didn’t eat as much and I found it was a waste if I baked something every second day like I do for when they are at school. I did bake a cake here and there but not as often.
To ease myself back into baking, I wanted to make something that was quick and easy. I found this recipe on pinterest and decided to give it a go.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- gummy bears, I used 2 per cookie
- In a bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add egg yolk and stir in vanilla. Mix in flour and salt until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 10 minutes. This will help by preventing the centre of the cookies from cracking.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll cookies into a tablespoon sized ball. Arrange on tray making sure you leave some space between each cookie. Using your thumb, press a deep hole in the centre of the cookie. Make it big enough so the gummy bears won't spill out once melted.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until they are almost done. Take them out of the oven and them place 2 gummy bears in each cookie. Then put the tray back in the oven and cook for a further 2 minutes until the gummy bears have melted.
- Let the cookies cool on tray for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.