School holidays are here which means we can have some special breakfasts! For breakfast today I made these cute little French Toast Roll Ups. They were easy to make and tasted delicious. The recipe used blueberries for the middle but I also used raspberries, strawberries and nutella. I enjoyed the raspberries more. The raspberries were little bursts of sweetness and worked well with the filling of cream cheese. The kids have requested that I make these again and they don’t have to worry because I definitely will!
French Toast Roll Ups
Recipe Type: Breakfast
This recipe makes 8 French toast roll ups.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 8 slices bread, crusts removed
- 120g cream cheese, softened
- raspberries or any other berries that you would like
- On a plate, beat together eggs, milk and vanilla. Place that to one side.
- On another plate, combine sugar and cinnamon. Place that to one side.
- Once you have cut your crusts off the slices of bread, use a rolling pin and flatten them just a little bit. I went over the bread just a couple of times.
- Spread the cream cheese over just one side of the bread and then place on top near the edge of the bread your berries. I fitted 6 small raspberries across my slice of bread.
- Bring the longest side (if you don’t have a square piece) of the bread over and tightly roll up the bread to the other side.
- Repeat this with the remaining slices of bread. Then dip the bread rolls into the egg mixture.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a med-high heat.
- Add bread rolls to the pan, a few at a time and cook until evenly golden brown, about 2 mins on each side.
- Once brown, immediately roll the bread rolls in the cinnamon sugar mix until coated.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe was adapted from the recipe over at [url href=”http://damndelicious.net/2014/03/10/blueberry-french-toast-roll-ups/”]Damn Delicious[/url]
Linking up with Chantille Fleur for Tea Party Tuesdays!