I try and bake what I can for the kids lunch boxes. I prefer giving them homemade goodies rather than the store bought packaged snacks. If I end up running out of baking time during the day, I will bake them something at night. Once we have had dinner and washing the kids down is done, I will head into the kitchen and make something. I try to pick out a recipe that is not too involved and is simple, easy and has a quick cooking time.
I jumped on Google and found these simple Chocolate cupcake recipe. I didn’t have enough butter so these were perfect as they have oil in them instead. I cut back on the sugar quantity and didn’t add any icing. I don’t like adding icing to the kid’s snacks when I cook them for the lunch boxes. The less sugar the better. And it saves me wiping out their lunch boxes!
- I cup plain flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated coffee powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanillla essence
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced/180°C
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tin
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coffee powder to a mixing bowl. Mix with together with a spoon or use a mixer.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla essence to flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the boiling water and carefully mix until combined. The mixture will be runny.
- Fill up cupcake liners evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Test with a cake skewer, it should come out clean.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a cake rack.
- You can put icing on them if you wish but I left them plain. Better for the lunch boxes.
Linking up with Chantille Fleur for Tea Party Tuesdays!