I found this lovely cake recipe over at bear loves dove. I was waiting for a time to get into the kitchen and make it. I like trying out different cake recipes that don’t require plain or self raising flour as part of their ingredients. This flourless apple ripple cake is made out of almond meal and rice flour. I always say, don’t be afraid of trying different ingredients as you can be quite surprised as to how it turns and what it tastes like.
- 150 gms butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 apple (I used Pink Lady)
- Demerara sugar or raw sugar (this is for sprinkling on the top)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced)
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until a pale colour.
- Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Add nutmeg and vanilla essence and mix.
- Then add the almond meal and rice flour (I sifted the almond meal and flour to make the cake batter more light) Now carefully mix until just combined. Don’t over mix as it will make the cake heavy.
- Pour your batter into the lined loaf tin.
- Slice your apple into thin little slices and arrange on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with as much or little demerara sugar as you like.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until cooked. Test with a cake tester.
- Once cooked take out of the oven and you can serve it straight away while it’s nice and warm.
The cake was a success! Everyone enjoyed it and it’s all gone! The taste: nice flavour, not too sweet, yummy nutmeg taste throughout. The texture: light, not dense, lovely topping. I will definitely be making this again. Loved it!
Thank you bear loves dove for sharing this recipe.