On Sunday was a combined birthday celebration for my two boys. The boys were turning 9 and 11. Their birthdays are a day and two years apart. Don’t ask me how we did that, I wish I could tell you but it just happened. Maybe someone could tell me how that happens, anyone!!
For each year, instead of making it two separate parties we combine it for our family. We get together for lunch at our house and make it a special day. This year I set up the table with Lego colours and made up some Lego lolly bags. Now sometimes I make them a birthday cake each but this year I asked them if they wouldn’t mind if they share a cake. They didn’t mind so I made them one BIG chocolate cake!It was huge. I made two chocolate cakes and joined them together with icing. The chocolate cake recipe I used was lovely and moist. I baked the cake in a 26cm/10inch springform tin. I didn’t want alot of height in the cake as I was joining them together so this recipe was perfect.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 125 gms melted butter
- Preheat oven to 150°C fan forced/ 170°C
- Line a cake tin with baking paper (I used a 26 cm/10 inch springform tin)
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sugar and mix.
- Add eggs, vanilla essence and milk. Mix until combined.
- Then add the melted butter and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin.
- Place in oven and bake for 40 mins. Test with cake skewer if needed.
- Once cooked, take out and cool for 5 mins in tin.
- Transfer cake onto cake rack to cool completely.
I didn’t have two of the same size tins so I made the cake twice. It didn’t take long and I was happy with the end result.I decorated their cake with Lego chocolates and some other delicious treats. I bought some Lego moulds off Ebay and made the chocolates myself. It was fun and the kids really liked them.We all had a great day. The kids enjoyed their birthday celebrations and thanked everyone for their cards and pressies.
Today was a bit of a slow start for us all. I think after yesterday we needed a stay home day.
What was your weekend like? Did you have any family celebrations?