Since we had some special visitors coming yesterday, I got up early and jumped on the ipad and opened the pinterest app. I wanted to make something nice and try out a new recipe. My hubby’s brother and his lovely wife with their two little kidlets were coming for lunch and afternoon tea. We always enjoy seeing them all and love having a chat. The kids toys come out and get spread all over the lounge room floor. They spend the time playing, chasing each other and going from room to room checking everything out. And then when it comes time for them to leave, we are already planning our next get together. Every time the kids have a ball playing with each other.
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ tlbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 160 gms unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tlbs lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced/180°C
- Line cake tin with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating until well blended after each one.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and then mix while slowly adding the milk until combined.
- Then add lemon juice and lemon zest, mix in gently.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into centre comes out clean, about 45 - 55 minutes. Depending on your ovens cooking time. Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto cake rack and cool completely.
Once the cake had cooled down, I made up some lemon icing using icing sugar, soft butter, juice from 1 lemon and some milk. I cut the cake in half and spread some icing in the middle. I put the cake top back on and then used up the rest of the lemon icing for the top. I decided the cake needed something else to put on top of the icing so I looked in the cupboard and found some shredded coconut. I sprinkled some on top, perfect! The cake was ready for afternoon tea.After lunch was over and some chatting was done, the kettle was put on. The cake was sliced and served up, time to dig in. Well, the cake was a hit and everyone loved it. It was lemony and moist. The amount of lemon in it was just right. It was a refreshing moist lemony pound cake! It wasn’t heavy. There was some room for a second slice but it was nice to just enjoy the one. I will definitely make this again. There was alot of mmm’s, yuumm’s and so nice. I have pinned it on my baked goods board in pinterest. YUM!